Tuesday, September 18, 2012

A Dream

by Ruth A. Sheets

I just received an email from a group rebuildthedream.com.  They are working to improve sustainable economic opportunities for all Americans.  One of their current actions is to hold a community event that will activate the concern, creativity, innovation, and power of communities and individuals.  On their website, visitors are asked to describe their dream for America,  Respondents are encouraged to tell their story. 

Some time passed before I could think through what my dream is.  I realized that I actually have a lot of dreams, but have not really formed them into words and sentences I could articulate.

I examined my feelings and beliefs and something that touches me personally surfaced.  The following is the story I sent.
_____

As a disabled woman, I have seen the marginalization of disabled Americans:  elimination of jobs, limited presence in the media, elimination of services, technology that passes disabled persons by while providing able-bodied persons with a range of features that are unnecessary, you get the picture. 

I worked for the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, DC for four years.  I thrived in the open, accepting atmosphere of Government service.  It is the only place I have ever worked where disabled people were accommodated just as a matter of course.  Ramps and elevators  were ubiquitous.  Large print materials, as well as  Braille were often available.  Most programs and events were interpreted in sign language or through closed captioning.  Disabled persons hustled to good jobs like their able-bodied colleagues.

My dream is that disabled people in large numbers will experience this same level of acceptance in all areas of life. 

It is hard, however, to move invisible people not only into visibility, but acceptance and inclusion. When the economy is bad, disabled workers are the last to be hired.  Through lack of accessibility, disabled people often avoid public gatherings.  Real, natural accommodation can be costly and is often not seen as worthwhile for the few who would take advantage of it.
_____

This month’s para Olympics presented a different picture of disabled people, but few Americans watched.  I bet the para Olympuc village was a terrific place to be, where people didn’t have to worry about how they would get from place to place and could use the various facilities. 

Maybe a way to begin a change is by teaching our children to be more respectful of disabled people they see or meet.  Instead of small print on everything, printers could enlarge materials meant to reach a large audience.  Attractive ramps and other accessibility features could be an automatic part of all new construction.  Disabled students could be actively recruited by colleges and employers.  Workers can be trained to give and receive meaningful support from their disabled colleagues.  Able bodied citizens could step back and let disabled citizens state what changes are needed and help throughout the process.

I bet we could come up with a lot of even better ideas if we had a will and if disabled persons were actively involved in advancing this dream. 

I know, I know, dream on!  I guess I will have to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment