Saturday, September 29, 2012

The “To Do” List

by Ruth A. Sheets

About four years ago, I began maintaining a “To Do” list so I could keep track of the many different kinds of things I wanted and needed to get done.  I put a check in front of each item as it was finished, a great reinforcement system! .

I am a strong advocate of the “To Do” list for keeping up with life and mention it often to my family.  Recently, my sister said, “That’s what Mitt Romney’s campaign reminds me of.  Being president is on his 'To Do' list and he just wants to check it off.”

Her remark crystalized something that has bothered me about Mitt Romney for a long time.  He does not seem to have strong positions on anything and he doesn’t seem to mind altering the truth.

I cannot see Mitt Romney, so I have no visual image of the distinguished-looking older man that people describe Romney as being.  What I have is only what I hear.  In his words, I do not hear much sincerity. He sounds as though he is always smiling, almost sneering, when he speaks.  It seems almost as though the campaign is some kind of game for him. 

Or, maybe, all of this is just an item on his “To Do” list.  Perhaps each of Mr. Romney’s accomplishments was on his list and has been checked off when completed.  Imagine
the list:  go to an Ivy League school, check; marry a woman who wants to have a lot of kids, check; start an investment business, check; make a lot of money breaking up companies, check: run for the Senate, check; serve as a  bishop in the church, check; help fix the failing 2002 winter Olympics, check, become governor of Massachusetts, check; run for President of the United States, check.

The question, is BEING President on his “To Do” list?  I suspect even he doesn’t believe he has what it takes to be president, so he is conducting a lack–luster campaign.  His 180 degree position adjustment on most issues, lying, and pandering might indicate that being the nominee is what he needed to achieve, so he can move on to the next item on his life “To Do” list. 

A troubling thing is that a lot of people see Mr. Romney as “The Great White Hope” and will be devastated if he doesn’t win, or even, if he does.  They don’t know that he really doesn’t mean most of what he is saying.  All this is just a means to an end, a check on his list.

No comments:

Post a Comment